Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lessons Learned in the "Real World"

It is hard to believe that I started my career six months ago...time has flown by. I am a strong believer in higher education, but there are some things that can only be learned through experience. I am looking forward to grad school in two and half years, although I am amazed at how much I have grown in the "real world."

Here are a few of my lessons learned as an Account Manger... I am sure there are many more to come!
  • Respect grows out of performance and performance grows at each and every interaction with clients and coworkers.
  • Always triple check deliverables. Reputation and trust are built over time and can be destroyed in an instant. 
  • Be up front, be open and admit mistakes. The best solution to any problem is to address it immediately with honesty and a plan to move forward. 
  • Always accept more responsibility. Quality is the measure by which you rise to the challenge and exceed expectations. Meet, beat and repeat. 
  • Service is where transactions are transformed into relationships. Practice what you preach, meet deadlines, follow through and never let clients down. 
  • Learn something new each day. Creativity, passion and knowledge are contagious. Surround yourself with a talented team.
  • Listen more and talk less. The ability to listen is an overlooked skill and one of the most powerful communication tools. Listening insures effective execution. 
  • There is never too much communication. The most successful relationships are built upon a foundation of constant communication.
Let me simply say...my career is off to a great start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment