Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Journey to Fulfillment

This past Sunday I was at home relaxing and channel surfing when I came across a seminar from Tony Robbins on OWN. For those of you that don't know, Tony Robbins is a worldwide life coach who helps people reach their full potential. I've always been intrigued by leadership and read countless books on how to be successful; from The Secret to The Flip Side.

I think my interest in leadership sparked when I was fourteen and graduated from Rapport Leadership International. As I look back now attending that training forever changed my life and is one of the biggest blessing my parents have given me. Rapport taught me the importance of effective communication, team work and the power of my mind. I experienced some of the biggest emotional highs and lows, but most of all I was pushed outside of my comfort-zone, overcame my fears and learned that I have the ability to accomplish anything.

With my focus, determination and energy I broke a block of wood and bent a metal bar with absolutely no pain; I still have them as a cherished reminder of my break through. Those who know me, know that I don't have an ounce of physical strength and that is one reason why those two challenges made such a drastic impact to my way of thinking. Attitude greatly impacts day-to-day life! I sometimes think many people are missing that potential to succeed because their mind is in the wrong place. Our minds are so incredibly powerful!

I'm a thinker and I love to observe people. Here lately I have been thinking a lot about what it means to be happy in life.  I've realized that so many people are searching for happiness and are continuously let down because life isn't about happiness; it's just a brief state of mind. Life is about fulfillment. The big question is...do I feel fulfilled at the end of the day through my relationships and work?

This may seem random, but on my way to work each morning I see a man sitting on the corner of Summit Avenue. He never has a sign or asks the passing cars for money; he just sits there each morning. He never makes eye contact with me; he just glances into the horizon with contentment. So many cars pass by him and don't notice him, yet I can't get the image of him out of my head. I want to know what his story is, what he thinks about and observes each morning.

I became very passionate about the homeless community after reading the book Same Kind of Different As Me. I even visited the Union Gospel Mission to get a better idea of where the book took place. I get so disappointed in the way our society handles issues like poverty. This may sound weird, but I hate when people just toss their money into the tin of a begging person on the street. Why don't we attack the problem at the root? The people on the streets of Fort Worth are no different than the working class and throwing money at them is not going to help them in the long run. It takes dedicated volunteers filled with love like Deborah Hall and places like the Union Gospel Mission to build up confidence and trust in those who are lost.

We are all born with a powerful mind, if we learn how to focus and control our attitude, we will all have the potential to do great things in this world. It is not about the haves and have nots because we are all the same...the only thing that sets us apart is our story. Life is not about happiness, it is about how we pursue fulfillment.

Let me simply say... I am going to break through my fear and do something big one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment