Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Patience is a Virtue

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." ~ Galations 5:22-23

In life there are challenges that I must overcome, opportunities that arise and important decisions that must be made. My Dad always tells me that the most important thing is that you complete everything you put your mind to and that it is not what you do in life, but how you do it.  One of the hardest lessons I have had to learn is that you can't make plans and then learning how to let go of those plans when you realize that God's plan is bigger than yours. I used to make these grand plans for how my life would unfold and now I look back and laugh at how silly I once was. I find so much peace and joy from Jeremiah 29:11 and it is a verse that provides me reassurance that I don't carry the burden of making plans.

"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

As of right now I have no plans, which absolutely terrifies me. I think the scariest thing is accepting the fact that I have no control. Instead of a plan I have a vision of what God wants to do with my life and I must now learn the virtue of patience. We live in such a fast paced society it is natural to expect instant results and gratification. I sometimes wonder why my vision seems so distant and then I remind myself that although I can't currently see God's work in action, I know in my heart that behind the scenes he is preparing a way to use my life. I must wait patiently for him to put my vision into action and understand that it is His timing and not mine.

Sometimes I wonder why things happen the way they do, but it is through those unexpected challenges that I see God work in my life. Through the hardships I realize that He is preparing me for things to come.

I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry." ~ Psalm 40:1

Let me simply say...He has shown me time and time again that anything is possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment